Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ashbrook prevails in turnover plagued match-up against arch-rival Forestview

Somebody was bound to win this game. Somebody was bound to lose this game, too. It would end up being the Green Wave as they held off Forestview’s last drive to sustain a 34-31 victory at William Eccles Field. This game was a tail of momentum swings after another.

Each time it looked like Ashbrook would extend their lead past ten, momentum swung the Jaguars’ way. Each time Forestview was poised to take the lead, momentum swung back the Green Wave. Each team was plagued with three turnovers. Ashbrook had two intercpetions and fumble. One was returned for a touchdown. Forestview had three interceptions. One of those was also returned for a touchdown.

Ashbrook got things when quarterback Austin Mitchell hit Isaiah Burris for a 21 yard touchdown reception. The kick was blocked though. The Jaguars quickly answered that with a 25-yard touchdown run by Montavis Rogers. After a bad punt snap put Forestview at Ashbrook’s five-yard line, the Green Wave defense was able to keep Forestview out of the end-zone. But Colton Rouse’s kick gave Forestview a 7-6 lead.

Ashbrook immediately took the lead back with an Isaac Wright 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. Matt Cloyd’s extra point made it 13-7. Forestview would cut Ashbrook’s lead later in the second quarter with a 38-yard field-goal by Rouse.

Ashbrook extended their lead to ten when Mitchell hit Tre Brice for a 31-yard touchdown reception. The Jaguars would once again cut that lead. Logan Bradley called his own number from the 6-yard line and took in the end-zone from there. The score was 20-17 at that point. After stopping Ashbrook on the next drive Forestview would shoot themselves in the foot when Logan Bradley threw an interception to Isaac Wright and he took it 56-yars for a touchdown.

Forestview would get the scoring started in the second half when C.J. Bumgardner returned an interception 60 yards for a touchdown. That cut the Green Wave lead to 27-24. Kristien Bell’s one-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter gave Ashbrook a ten-point lead again. Bradley finally got his first touchdown pass in the fourth quarter when he hit Moe Neal for a 58-yard touchdown reception.

Following an Ashbrook fumble late in the game, Forestview would drive all the way down to the Green Wave 11-yard line, but were stopped. The would-be game-tying field-goal came up short and Ashbrook walked away with a 34-31 victory to remain in second place in the Big South.

Ashbrook travels to Lake Norman Charter next week. Forestview will be back at home against Hunter Huss.

No comments:

Post a Comment